Over the past few years, the Indian economy has seen a substantial growth spurt, resulting in a spike in the number vehicles hitting the roads too. Of course, more the number of vehicles, the more the tyres.
A quick look at some facts: worldwide more than 981 million tyres are thrown away each year and less than 7% of these are recycled. The remaining 77% are sent to landfills, stockpiled, or illegally dumped. That’s almost 765 million old tires a year wasted across the world! (source).
To save the earth from clogging with the forever growing number of old tyres, all you need to do is try and upcycle and reuse tyres. Not only can tyres be repurposed into fun, pretty things for the house, your single contribution will definitely help in the long run.
Before you start, don’t forget to keep your carpenter on speed dial.
Listed below are some creative and fun ways to give life and reuse old tyres:
2. Old tyres make for pretty seaters: Add these tire ottomans to any area of the house that needs life. You could choose to paint them or even upholster them to compliment that certain area. Just throw in a cushion at the top and you have a super comfy, fun seating ready.
3. Use them to hang those plants: Spruce up your lawn or that balcony garden by hanging planters made from old tyres. For the hanging planter, just drill some holes at the bottom of the planter, to help excess water drain out. For detailed DIY instructions on making one, click here.
4. Coffee tables from old tyres: This conversation starter is super easy to make. All you need to do is wrap the tyre in some bright coloured rope (glue the rope to the tyre). Add a glass top and Presto! you have a coffee table ready. It’s one of the great ways of waste tyre recycling.
5. Repurpose tyres into gorgeous mirror frames: Old cycle tyres make for pretty mirror frames too. Paint the tyre in a colour to compliment that wall. Take the painted tyre to a local mirror fixing vendor and get him to do the mirror installation for you and it’s ready.
6. Garbage bins from tyres: Tyres glued or nailed together with a wooden base and a cover also work as great garbage bins. Reduces the plastic bin that you’d have to get into your home. Note: When using these bins, you would need to line the inside with a bag. Ideally recycle the plastic bags lying at home or buy recycled plastic bin liners.
7. Seesaw for the kids: You’d need to rope in your carpenter for this one. Get the tire sliced in half and get a seat made for the top (a plank of wood). Once ready, the seat needs to be nailed onto the tyre – that’s it. Paint it into a lady bug, caterpillar or anything else your child would approve of. Stick to eco friendly paints whenever possible.
8. A bed for your pet: This one’s for the pet lovers. Use an old tyre to make a comfortable bed for your pet to lounge in. All you need is to find a tyre that works well with the size of your pet. Paint it and stick a comfy cushion inside. If your pet could, he/she’d thank you for it :).
If you’ve got more ideas and have already experimented with these, we’d love to see pictures of your projects, so please do share them with us. If not, we hope some of these ideas inspire you to try upcycling :).