This one’s our follow up post to the one written on Baking soda for beauty and health benefits. We’ve also got one up for how to use it for kids too. Now this one’s about how to put this wondrous ingredient to use for cleaning your home. Known for it’s versatile nature, this super ingredient can help replace toxic chemicals from your kitchen and the rest of your home. It makes an excellent ingredient for cleaning all types of things, allowing you to get rid of toxin laden cleaners from your home. Not only are the toxins known to be bad for our health and unsafe to keep around the house, once they go into our waste water stream they pollute ground water, and the empty plastic bottles clog our landfills adding to air pollution and rising temperatures.
Here are five ways to use Baking soda to clean your home:
- Carpet and Rug cleaner: Sprinkle some Baking soda on the carpet/rug for chemical free cleaning. Let it sit for about 15-20 minutes, so the odor and other such can be absorbed. Vacuum the Baking soda off or just sweep it.
- Air freshener: Baking soda makes for a natural air freshener. It doesn’t mask the offensive odour but neutralizes it. Add a tablespoon Baking soda to a small spray bottle, add a few drops of your favorite essential oils to it, and fill this spray bottle with water. Mix well and spray in areas of the room for a refreshing fragrance.
- Unclog drains: Using it with Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) helps replace the harmful toxic unclogging agents. Pour ½ cup baking powder to the drain followed by a cup of ACV and a cup of hot water. Let the same sit for about 10 minutes before flushing it down with some boiling hot water.
- Fruit and Veggie scrub: Fruits and vegetables are infested with harmful chemical fertilisers, pesticides, and bacteria. Clean them well by dropping them in a mixture of water and a teaspoon of baking soda and rubbing them with this pasty mixture.
- Crayon marks remover: If you’ve got crayon scribbles all over your walls, just mix a little baking powder in water and use this mixture to clean gently with an old cloth. Wipe off with a dry clean cloth.
- Odour removal from lunch boxes: Get rid of stale food smell and grease from lunch boxes by rinsing them with a mixture of baking soda and warm water. If the smell and grease are too strong, leave it in a mixture of baking soda and water overnight.
- Keep ashtrays from smelling: Keep some baking soda at the bottom of an ashtray to keep it from smelling of stale smoke.
- Keep pets from smelling: Keep away the “wet dog” smell from pets by sprinkling them with baking soda post their bath and brushing their fur.
While these are 8 benefits we found useful, there are plenty more uses for this wonder ingredient like for cleaning silver, for cleaning floors, scrubbing the bathroom area, for cleaner laundry, etc. If you have been using it effectively for something, please do share with us the details. We’d love to hear and try.