If you’ve experienced it before, you probably detest the idea of a hangover, and if you’re a seasoned drinker, you probably have your own rules for how you’re going to avoid / manage the aftermath of a heavy night out with friends. Some people have slice of cheese or something greasy before stepping out, while others alternate alcohol with a glass of water – anything to avoid a morning with a pounding headache, nausea, photophobia, dehydration and just simple lethargy. It’s one of the simplest hangover prevention techniques that completely work.
To help you out, we’ve put together a list of 8 natural cures for hangover. Hope you don’t need them anytime soon – but just in case!
1. Put your local ‘nariyal paani vaala’ on speed dial
- It’s the loss of electrolytes that makes you feel like crap: Alcohol is a diuretic, and excessive consumption of it makes you pee a lot and you end up losing a lot of the essential electrolytes like potassium and sodium. Interestingly, it’s the sodium loss that then results in water – making you puffy and bloated.
- Coconut water contains all the five electrolytes you need: As per a report in Time magazine, the U.N.’s Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) stated termed Coconut water contains the ‘fluid of life’.
- We’d suggest that you keep a stock of Coconut water in the fridge, but the tetra packs and plastic bottles will end up in a landfill – killing the planet. We suggest you get the real thing!
2. Stock up on Honey
- Combats Toxins: Being rich in antioxidants it helps combat the toxins that alcohol adds to your body.
- Helps flush alcohol out of your system: In addition the fructose found in Honey speeds up the rate at which your body processes alcohol and flushes it out of your system.
- According to Times of India having 2-3 spoonful of Honey every hour helps in digesting the alcohol; alternatively, you could even drizzle some honey on toast. If you cannot have solids, then fix yourself a ‘hot toddy’ – boil a cup of water, add some lemon and honey and sip the same. It replenishes not lost fluids, and replaces the lost sugar.
3. Go Bananas
- Replenishes Potassium: Potassium is one of the main electrolytes that is depleted with alcohol. As a potassium rich fruit, a milkshake made of Bananas is just what you need.
- Combats acidity: Banana has antacid qualities that soothe the stomach and keep nausea at bay.
4. Chew on Cabbage
- Known for its high content of minerals and vitamins: Green cabbage was a preferred option among the ancient Greeks and Romans, who would have raw cabbage dipped in vinegar.
- Relieve that headache: Due to its high fiber content, it absorbs alcohol and reduces the lactic acid in it, helps relieve headaches. If you can’t chew on it, boil the cabbage leaves and drink up the juice from it. Squeeze a little lime in it if needed and add some salt for better taste – both of these are needed by your body.
5. Fix yourself another one
- Have a ‘Virgin Mary’ to replenish the lost glucose:. When we drink a little too much, we also lose out on glucose, which is the primary energy source of the brain (low levels of glucose can cause fatigue, weakness, etc). Tomatoes which are high in fructose not only help replace the lost sugar but also help the body in metabolising the alcohol faster.
- Hydrate: In addition, Tomatoes fight inflammation, and are highly hydrating, making them a good option to try for a hangover cure.
6. Get some Ginger
- Known for assisting in the quick digestion of alcohol: Ginger is known to soothe the stomach. Chewing it might be hard, so brew some of it in water, add some honey and sip on it.
7. Egg on
Flush out those toxins: The large amount of Cysteine (a basic amino acid) in eggs helps combat toxins in the body and clear up the effect of the hangover sooner, leaving you feeling better sooner, which is the aim after all.
8. Shower some
- Hot showers: A hot water bath is perfect to make you sweat out those harmful toxins through your skin. You can also add a homemade scrub to relax you as well.
- Hit the sauna: A sauna also helps do the same but can be dehydrating, so unless you feel really ok, we suggest you don’t try this.
- Yellow baths: Mustard baths, the new buzz in town, are coming to be known as a hangover-healer. Mustard is known to aid circulation and draw toxins out from the body and yes we know the thought of it doesn’t sound very appealing but well it’s known to work. Fixing one on your own can be a tad bit cumbersome, so we suggest you pick one up here. Though a little expensive, it sure would be a good investment.
We’d also suggest you skip the heavy breakfast and coffee the morning after. Caffeine is also known to act as a diuretic and will only make the problem worse. Instead, pack your breakfast in with a Banana shake, chew on an apple (known to help cure headaches), eat some cereal, eggs or honey and toast. Basically, skip greasy food, and opt for some light chicken broth for lunch. These natural cures for hangover are the best alternative to hangover medicines and has no side effect.