We’re sure you already have this golden liquid stocked in your kitchen shelf but if not, we’d suggest you do so right now. The sweet taste of Honey makes it a great replacement for sugar and artificial sweeteners but there’s a lot more it can offer thanks to its anti-fungal, antibacterial, moisturising and other properties. Collected by bees from the nectar, pollen and resin of flowers, Honey is rich in antioxidants and nutrients, and being a humectant i.e. it retains moisture very well. Honey can be can be a fabulous replacement for toxic chemicals found within our homes – specifically in skin and hair care items. Our guest post Read the Label has more information on these toxins. Do take a look.
Here are 10 ways in which you can start using Honey to replace common chemical products in your home today:
- Fight Acne: Honey works well as a gentle face wash for all skin types and thanks to its antibacterial and anti-fungal properties, it fights bacteria creating acne. It also helps soothe the redness and irritation caused by acne. All you need to do is apply a little honey directly onto the affected area. Let it sit for about 30 minutes, then rinse off with warm water.
- Clean and moisturise skin: Fix yourself a home facial for instant soft, deeply moisturised skin and cleaner pores. All you need to do is take half a spoonful of honey, warm this in between your palms and apply this on your face in circular motion. Let this stay for about 10 minutes and then rinse off with lukewarm water and pat dry with a towel.
- Exfoliate: To use this as an exfoliator, combine two tablespoons honey with one tablespoon baking soda and apply this mixture on your face in circular motion. Rinse well with lukewarm water and dab it dry. Baking soda is a great exfoliator of dead cells and also aids development of new cells, while honey moisturises the skin.
- Moisturize cuticles: Skip a trip to the salon to get those perfectly healthy looking cuticles, all you need to do is mix a teaspoon of Honey with a teaspoon each of Apple Cider Vinegar and Coconut oil and apply this onto each of your cuticles, let it sit for about 10-15 minutes and rinse off with water. The honey will soften and moisturise cuticles, the Apple Cider will balance the skin’s pH level and coconut oil will condition and protect them.
- Fade out scars: Honey mixed with coconut oil also helps in reducing the appearance of scars and marks. All you need to do is mix a teaspoon of honey to a teaspoon of coconut oil and apply this mixture with your fingertips daily to the affected area. Apply a warm towel to this for about a minute or two and rinse.
- Relieve chapped lips: Apply some honey onto chapped lips for nearly instant relief.
- Get rid of frizz: To get rid of frizzy hair, mix half a teaspoon of honey to a dollop of shampoo and apply this mixture to your hair. Rinse well with water. Honey not only moisturises hair, it also helps strengthen hair follicles. Alternatively, apply some honey after your hair wash to the ends. Let it stay for about 10-15 minutes and rinse it off for shiny, healthy looking, deeply moisturised hair.
- Get relief from sunburn: Honey works as a hydrant on dry and burnt skin and in this case it soothes the skin by getting absorbed deeply. Mix it with aloe vera gel (one teaspoon each) and apply to the affected area.
- Fight that hangover: Next time you are nursing a hangover, skip those meds and opt for some Honey. According to a report by Times of India, having 2-3 spoonful of Honey every hour helps in digesting the alcohol. Alternatively, you could even drizzle some honey on toast. If you cannot have solids, then fix yourself a ‘hot toddy’ – boil a cup of water, add some lemon and honey and sip the same. It replenishes not lost fluids, and replaces the lost sugar. If it’s a hangover cure you looking for, do read up our post on how to cure hangovers naturally.
- Fight throat infections: Honey is known to soothe the scratchy feeling in the throat. In addition to that, it has expectorant and demulcent properties i.e. helps bring out sputum like most cough medicines and reduces inflammation and irritation in the throat. Just mix a teaspoon of honey to warm water/ tea and sip this about 2-3 times a day. Additional ways of using honey for throat infections can be looked up here.
Using Honey to replace most chemicals found in face wash, shampoo, and your basic meds, not only will help you, but also the environment. So do consider it ☺.